The original proprietor, Charles W. McLauthlin, opened the Green Harbor store about 1901. He had married, in 1900, Lydia Curtis Peterson, daughter of Seth Peterson, boatman and sporting companion of Daniel Webster. McLauthlin owned and operated the store, living in the upstairs quarters until his death in 1938 at age ninety. In 1901, the Green Harbor Post Office moved to the Green Harbor General Store where it remained until the 1950's.
The Green Harbor store has since belonged to Varnum E. Gratto, Dan Michellini, Michael Moss, Harry and Virginia Bruckner and Joe and Jodi McDonough. The current owners are Bob and Deborah Habel. The Habels purchased and renovated the store in 1995. In 2003, they rennovated the upstairs quarters where they now live.
Many of the historical features of the building remain in place today such as the original hardwood floors adding to the charm of the store. The "Genny", as it is lovingly called, is the heartbeat of Green Harbor village. It is open 364 days a year. Not only does it provide convenient services to its local residents, it's a "friendly harbor" for it's many seasonal visitors.
02050 +1.7818373995 GreenHarborGeneralStore@gmail.com